I have been practicing Chinese cuisine with the help of my new cookbook “Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking” by Fuchsia Dunlop. So far every recipe has been quite easy to manage and the results have been great.
It is always hard for me to sum up a trip. I have been going to Detroit every year for the past 4 years. This year was a bit different because we threw 3 parties at the beautiful dark wood lined club Oslo. So it was less of a rave vacation and it was more about working and party picture taking.
Our trip started out with a delicious techno family meal at Roast. I ate the best marinated smoked salmon ever to cross my lips. Chef Jeff made sure I had plenty to eat as everyone else munched on meaty treats like beef cheek and bone marrow.
For the past two years my favorite food podcast has been the Splendid Table. Even if you are not a big foodie the host Lynne Rossetto Kasper’s laugh and amazing personality is enough to keep your interest. And every week she has the fabulous Jane and Michael Stern talk about their Road Food adventures. You can download to her very informative podcast here. She is not to be missed!
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
3. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown – about 2 minutes.
4. Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more..
6. Stir in cup grated Cheddar cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking, along with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
7. Remove from the heat
8. Butter a 1 -quart casserole.
9. Put the cooked macaroni into the casserole, pour the cheese sauce over it, and mix gently with a fork.
10. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top and spread the crumbs over the cheese.
11. Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
+ Turkish Fig Princess – fig, blue cheese, rosemary and mozzarella
+ Pear Shaped Lady – pear, blue cheese, mozzarella and tomato sauce
+ Pixie Pixel’s Pepperoni & Pesto Pizza – tomato sauce, mozzarella, fake pepperoni, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts & my homemade pesto
+ From the Greek Gods – tomato sauce, mozzarella, black olives, Feta, cherry tomatoes
and a Fresh Salad with a Pomegranate Apricot Mustard Vinaigrette
In 2003 I had a solo show in Marsellies, France. Abi, Kim and I bought last minute tickets to France to attend my opening. It was one of the best decisions we ever made. We had an amazing time together and the best part was the few days spent in Paris. One day Kim and I randomly wandered into one of the oldest and most elegant tea salons in the world, Ladurée. I was vegan at the time but there was no way I could resist the rose petal adorned pastries and floral scented teas. ahhhhh…